Sunday, August 27, 2006

Make the Sale--Then Zip the Lip



During my five years as Vice President for Development of Columbia College in Columbia, South Carolina, I became acquainted with Joe Pinner, who was a beloved TV personality with Columbia's WIS-TV. Joe served as a charter member of the college's Board of Visitors, and we established a lasting friendship.

Not only did Joe maintain a long,distinguished media career--with the same station, which is unique in his business--he used his regional fame to support many humanitarian causes. His honors and volunteer record gave him great credibility among his viewers and other admirers.

As I said, Joe and I have kept in touch. In response to my recent blog about sales expert George Harned of Office Depot, Joe shared this gem from his experience:


I have mentioned to you about the time as WIS-TV's Mr. Knozit, Walt Disney World had invited me to Florida to be their guest for what I recall was their 10th Anniversary. I presented my case to the General Sales Manager asking for the permission I doubted would come, as the station usually did not allow such things. I must have been initially convincing about my going by suggesting taping segments for my children's show because when I finished, he simply said "O.K, sounds good"!

Taken aback, I then began to embellish what I could do while on this free junket when he abruptly interrupted me and quietly said, "You would NEVER be a good salesman!" Well, as you can imagine, my enthusiasm was immediately quelled and I rather meekly asked why and he simply said "If you keep going on talking , you might just talk yourself out of going. When I said 'O.K., sounds good', you should have said 'thank you very much' , turned on your heels and left! The same thing goes when a client signs the contract, say 'thank you very much' , turn on your heels and get the hell outta there!"


You're right, Joe. When you have made the sale, zip your lip.

For additional information about communication, customer service and sales, visit my Web site:
http://www.ChampionshipCommunication.com

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home